|English Dictionary: set up
DICT Development Group
|1 result for set up|
|From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:|
- set up
- set up or found; "She set up a literacy program" [syn:
establish, set up, found, launch]
Antonym(s): abolish, get rid of
- create by putting components or members together; "She pieced a quilt"; "He tacked together some verses"; "They set up a committee"
Synonym(s): assemble, piece, put together, set up, tack, tack together
Antonym(s): break apart, break up, disassemble, dismantle, take apart
- construct, build, or erect; "Raise a barn"
Synonym(s): raise, erect, rear, set up, put up
Antonym(s): dismantle, level, pull down, rase, raze, take down, tear down
- get ready for a particular purpose or event; "set up an experiment"; "set the table"; "lay out the tools for the surgery"
Synonym(s): set up, lay out, set
- put into a proper or systematic order; "arrange the books on the shelves in chronological order"
Synonym(s): arrange, set up
- begin, or enable someone else to begin, a venture by providing the means, logistics, etc.; "set up an election"
- take or catch as if in a snare or trap; "I was set up!"; "The innocent man was framed by the police"
Synonym(s): ensnare, entrap, frame, set up
- produce; "The scientists set up a shock wave"
Synonym(s): effect, effectuate, set up
- set up for use; "install the washer and dryer"; "We put in a new sink"
Synonym(s): install, instal, put in, set up
- place; "Her manager had set her up at the Ritz"
Synonym(s): install, instal, set up, establish
- arrange the outcome of by means of deceit; "rig an election"
Synonym(s): rig, set up
- erect and fasten; "pitch a tent"
Synonym(s): pitch, set up
- arrange thoughts, ideas, temporal events; "arrange my schedule"; "set up one's life"; "I put these memories with those of bygone times"
Synonym(s): arrange, set up, put, order
- equip with sails or masts; "rig a ship"
Synonym(s): rig, set, set up
- make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc; "Get the children ready for school!"; "prepare for war"; "I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill"
Synonym(s): fix, prepare, set up, ready, gear up, set
No guarantee of accuracy or completeness!
©TU Chemnitz, 2006-2019