|English Dictionary: fearful
DICT Development Group
|2 results for fearful|
|From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:|
- experiencing or showing fear; "a fearful glance";
"fearful of criticism"
- causing fear or dread or terror; "the awful war"; "an awful risk"; "dire news"; "a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked"; "the dread presence of the headmaster"; "polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was"; "a dreadful storm"; "a fearful howling"; "horrendous explosions shook the city"; "a terrible curse"
Synonym(s): awful, dire, direful, dread(a), dreaded, dreadful, fearful, fearsome, frightening, horrendous, horrific, terrible
- lacking courage; ignobly timid and faint-hearted; "cowardly dogs, ye will not aid me then"- P.B.Shelley
Synonym(s): cowardly, fearful
Antonym(s): brave, courageous
- extremely distressing; "fearful slum conditions"; "a frightful mistake"
Synonym(s): fearful, frightful
- timid by nature or revealing timidity; "timorous little mouse"; "in a timorous tone"; "cast fearful glances at the large dog"
Synonym(s): fearful, timorous, trepid
|From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:|
Fearful \Fear"ful\, a.|
1. Full of fear, apprehension, or alarm; afraid; frightened.
Anxious amidst all their success, and fearful amidat
all their power. --Bp.
2. inclined to fear; easily frightened; without courage;
What man is there that is fearful and faint-hearted?
--Deut. xx. 8.
3. Indicating, or caused by, fear.
Cold fearful drops stand on my trembling flesh.
4. Inspiring fear or awe; exciting apprehension or terror;
terrible; frightful; dreadful.
This glorious and fearful name, The Lord thy God.
Death is a fearful thing. --Shak.
In dreams they fearful precipices tread. --Dryden.
Syn: Apprehensive; afraid; timid; timorous; horrible;
distressing; shocking; frightful; dreadful; awful.
No guarantee of accuracy or completeness!
©TU Chemnitz, 2006-2021