DEEn Dictionary De - En
DeEs De - Es
DePt De - Pt
 Vocabulary trainer

Spec. subjects Grammar Abbreviations Random search Preferences
Search in Sprachauswahl
pulley block
Search for:
Mini search box
English Dictionary: pulley block by the DICT Development Group
2 results for pulley block
From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:
pulley block
  1. a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a groove in which a rope can run to change the direction or point of application of a force applied to the rope
    Synonym(s): pulley, pulley-block, pulley block, block
From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:
   Pulley \Pul"ley\, n.; pl. {Pulleys}. [F. poulie, perhaps of
      Teutonic origin (cf. {Poll}, v. t.); but cf. OE. poleine,
      polive, pulley, LL. polanus, and F. poulain, properly, a
      colt, fr. L. pullus young animal, foal (cf. {Pullet},
      {Foal}). For the change of sense, cf. F. poutre beam,
      originally, a filly, and E. easel.] (Mach.)
      A wheel with a broad rim, or grooved rim, for transmitting
      power from, or imparting power to, the different parts of
      machinery, or for changing the direction of motion, by means
      of a belt, cord, rope, or chain.
      Note: The pulley, as one of the mechanical powers, consists,
               in its simplest form, of a grooved wheel, called a
               sheave, turning within a movable frame or block, by
               means of a cord or rope attached at one end to a fixed
               point. The force, acting on the free end of the rope,
               is thus doubled, but can move the load through only
               half the space traversed by itself. The rope may also
               pass over a sheave in another block that is fixed. The
               end of the rope may be fastened to the movable block,
               instead of a fixed point, with an additional gain of
               power, and using either one or two sheaves in the fixed
               block. Other sheaves may be added, and the power
               multiplied accordingly. Such an apparatus is called by
               workmen a block and tackle, or a fall and tackle. See
               {Block}. A single fixed pulley gives no increase of
               power, but serves simply for changing the direction of
      {Band pulley}, [or] {Belt pulley}, a pulley with a broad face
            for transmitting power between revolving shafts by means
            of a belt, or for guiding a belt.
      {Cone pulley}. See {Cone pulley}.
      {Conical pulley}, one of a pair of belt pulleys, each in the
            shape of a truncated cone, for varying velocities.
      {Fast pulley}, a pulley firmly attached upon a shaft.
      {Loose pulley}, a pulley loose on a shaft, to interrupt the
            transmission of motion in machinery. See {Fast and loose
            pulleys}, under {Fast}.
      {Parting pulley}, a belt pulley made in semicircular halves,
            which can be bolted together, to facilitate application
            to, or removal from, a shaft.
      {Pulley block}. Same as {Block}, n. 6.
      {Pulley stile} (Arch.), the upright of the window frame into
            which a pulley is fixed and along which the sash slides.
      {Split pulley}, a parting pulley.
No guarantee of accuracy or completeness!
©TU Chemnitz, 2006-2019
Your feedback:
Ad partners

Sprachreise mit Sprachdirekt