|English Dictionary: break down
DICT Development Group
|1 result for break down|
|From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:|
- break down
- make ineffective; "Martin Luther King tried to break down
Synonym(s): break down, crush
- make a mathematical, chemical, or grammatical analysis of; break down into components or essential features; "analyze a specimen"; "analyze a sentence"; "analyze a chemical compound"
Synonym(s): analyze, analyse, break down, dissect, take apart
Antonym(s): synthesise, synthesize
- lose control of one's emotions; "When she heard that she had not passed the exam, she lost it completely"; "When her baby died, she snapped"
Synonym(s): break down, lose it, snap
- stop operating or functioning; "The engine finally went"; "The car died on the road"; "The bus we travelled in broke down on the way to town"; "The coffee maker broke"; "The engine failed on the way to town"; "her eyesight went after the accident"
Synonym(s): fail, go bad, give way, die, give out, conk out, go, break, break down
- fall apart; "the building crumbled after the explosion"; "Negotiations broke down"
Synonym(s): crumble, crumple, tumble, break down, collapse
- cause to fall or collapse
- separate (substances) into constituent elements or parts
Synonym(s): decompose, break up, break down
- collapse due to fatigue, an illness, or a sudden attack
Synonym(s): break down, collapse
No guarantee of accuracy or completeness!
©TU Chemnitz, 2006-2019