|English Dictionary: surgery
DICT Development Group
|2 results for surgery|
|From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:|
- the branch of medical science that treats disease or injury
by operative procedures; "he is professor of surgery at the Harvard Medical School"
- a room where a doctor or dentist can be consulted; "he read the warning in the doctor's surgery"
- a room in a hospital equipped for the performance of surgical operations; "great care is taken to keep the operating rooms aseptic"
Synonym(s): operating room, OR, operating theater, operating theatre, surgery
- a medical procedure involving an incision with instruments; performed to repair damage or arrest disease in a living body; "they will schedule the operation as soon as an operating room is available"; "he died while undergoing surgery"
Synonym(s): operation, surgery, surgical operation, surgical procedure, surgical process
|From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:|
Surgery \Sur"ge*ry\, n. [OE. surgenrie, surgerie; cf. OF.|
cirurgie, F. chirurgie, L. chirurgia, Gr. [?]. See
1. The art of healing by manual operation; that branch of
medical science which treats of manual operations for the
healing of diseases or injuries of the body; that branch
of medical science which has for its object the cure of
local injuries or diseases, as wounds or fractures,
tumors, etc., whether by manual operation or by medicines
and constitutional treatment.
2. A surgeon's operating room or laboratory.
No guarantee of accuracy or completeness!
©TU Chemnitz, 2006-2013